Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A New Hobby?

I'm not big into reading. Sure I enjoy flipping through my Star Wars Insider, Game Informer, Sports Illustrated, and ESPN The Magazine, but I just didn't find books captivating. Before this past summer I could count the number of books I read for pleasure on one hand. Well that changed - for a little - over the summer. I took my Star Wars: The Truce at Bakura with me to my family's vacation to Ocean City, MD the first week of July 2007. I had less than 100 pages to go and my goal was to finish it that week. It's important to know that I started the same book when I was at the beach...2 years ago. Well a long story short, I finished it. And amazingly, I had brought another book with me. What book? Ghostbusters: The Return by Sholly Fisch :-). I finished that at the shore too! I was on a roll. So I started another book. Kelly and I purchased a few books at the discount book store across the street. One of them was Riptide by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I LOVED IT. I didn't quite finish it at the beach but did within a few days of returning to State College. Unfortunately my new found hobby didn't last long after that. I started reading my next book, Republic Commando: Hard Contact at the end of July but only made it through one chapter before forgetting about it.

I brought Republic Commando: Hard Contact along with me on my trip to State College for THON at the end of February 2008. I needed something to do while waiting for the plane. I read a chapter or two and my interest was piqued again. I was rather busy after returning from THON (which was awesome) so I didn't pick up the book again until this past weekend. Tonight, I finished it.

I really enjoyed it and got attached to all of the main characters. Omega Squad kicks ass. As soon as I finished Republic Commando: Hard Contact I started on the sequel, Republic Commando: Triple Zero. I am only through the prologue and the first chapter but it already looks like a great installment. I really want to finish it so I can get to book three, True Colors.

I love special ops clones!

No comments: